Remember ...

If not now, when?

Tuesday 16 January 2018

Take One Grey Skirt



Well, it's started peeps, and I did warn you.  Those berry boots are being worked 

After all our storms, deluges and sea flooding in recent weeks, the golf course has been out of action.  So today I benefitted from this misfortune.  TP arranged an impromptu lunch with our golfing buddy.  Just a meal at our local but I saw the opportunity to try out my new boots with a skirt.

When TP told me we had a date with our golfing buddy, I said excitedly "Yipeeee, something to dress up for!".  He was quiet for a moment and I'm sure I felt the shock waves from his quivering bottom lip, then, rather dejectedly I thought, he said to the cat "Well, mummy could dress up for us too if she wanted ..."

And TP is of course totally right in what he said in his conversation with Bertie.  We can smarten up for any day, any occasion and for no occasion.  I personally feel better when I do.  Of course, my defence was to say that on most days at the moment we are doing dirty work, decluttering the attic or stuffed-to-the-gills eaves cupboards.  So on many days I am wearing ripped jeans or a pair of old leggings.  But on less strenuous days, and especially at this time of the year when we need all the bolstering of ego and id that we can get, it's no real effort to dress up a bit more smartly and feel a little bit better with our day, eh?


But back to the plot, folks.  Dressing the Granny for a pub lunch.  And having fun with those boots!
Today my focus was on pairing berry with grey and seeing where I could take that combo.



I chose a basic grey wool and lined piece from an old M&S work suit.


First I went for an easy look, picking up the colour of the boots in a berry long sleeved t shirt top from Next.  I added a fave scarf from Accessorize, as I realised this grey scarf picks up the berry colour in its pattern.  Good spot, Pout.


I also realised that this old jacket is a perfect match for those boots.  Ooh, everything's coming together now that I've found these bargain boots!


I think the skirt's jacket looks a bit too serious for a lunch at our local.


I accessorised this look with my gorgeous silver and freshwater pearl strands, super pressies from special little people.


The knee boots are just the right length for a below-knee skirt.


I then took my basic grey skirt and poshed it up a notch with an ivory loose-layer top and the same berry jacket.  Looks a bit "workish" for a Monday lunch.


A long cardi in grey brings this blouse down a notch.  Still a bit workish though.


I then made a twinset with the cardi paired with shell top, both cashmere merino from Woolovers.
I pulled out some East necklaces and first accessorised with a chunky one in a similar colour to the boots to tie them in - it's just enough to break up this grey column.  Light touch.  
I saw this combo as a definite contender for my lunch date with the boys.



Lastly, still keeping the look warm and wintry, I simply wore the skirt with a Woolovers cashmere merino polo neck.  Again, I picked up the colour of the boots with an elegant-line glass lasso necklace.


Well, what do you think ladies?  Grey and berry - a success?  I think the berry boots have just the right amount of colour to perk up the sombre looking grey, and they add a touch of class too!

These are very simple outfits but they fit in with my day to day.  
I kept them light touch to showcase the boots.
I liked linking an unobtrusive top to the berry boots then zjooshing with some classy silver strands.
I liked the idea of the grey columns linked to the boot colour with one piece jewellery .  
Keeping the linking of colour to the boots to a simple light touch works for me.  Does it work for you?  Do you link in footwear to necklace and keep the bit in between easy and column-toned?

I have designated 2018 my year of Light Touch and I like how it comes through in these outfits ... and I love my amazeballs berry boots!



Oh and we both chose the berry top outfit (phew!) and I was date-ready.
Dressed up for our golfing buddy, and for TP and the cat.



A la perchoine.

22 comments:

  1. Love this! You and think so much a like: give me one thing and let me see how much I can do with it. I will say though, being an art teacher, my workish was a whole lot different than yours! My workish was what paint, crayons, ink and etc won't show up on and if it did, what were the things in my closet that wouldn't upset me being ruined.....Such a wonderful post and hope you enjoyed your lunch and say hi to Bertie for us (by the way love that name, so Jeeves and Wooster). Oh, and my favorite was just the burgundy jumper that matched the boots with your pearls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, sweet Terri. More and more I too see our similar approaches come through. And so funny but when I read your requirements for art teacher attire it sounded similar to mine for a crowded pub, back in the day!!!
      Lunch was lovely but the fish too ample, I got myself a catty-bag and made fish cakes for TWO the next day, that's how much I couldn't eat!
      Given our mind-matching, s'n surprise you chose the outfit I actually wore.
      And Bertie is loving that's he's found himself a faraway fan and likes the period you've put him in, he says you totally get him!
      Thanks for your visit, Terri, hope the week is going well for you. Hugs, x.

      Delete
  2. A beautiful and elegant combination. The skirt is beautiful and the garnets are very equlibrados. All the proposals are beautiful, my favorite is the penultimate one. Beautiful hairstyle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, J-M. Yes, I tried to balance the jewellery to the low-key outfits, so thanks for noting that. Wishing you a happy day, x.

      Delete
  3. Hello
    I can identify with all of these looks, they look great on you, but find I am less drawn to the jackets, as you say, the are a bit workish (and we are finished with that!).
    Love
    Lizer Pearl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thanks, Lizer Pearl, I was aiming for a lady-who-lunches look (as that is what I was doing!), so like me you've seen that anything workish wouldn't cut the LWL mustard. And agreed, were SO over that workish thing !!!
      Wishing you a happy day, x.

      Delete
  4. Oh yes amazeballs accurately describes these berry beauties! I love what you've done with them! As I looked at each picture I oooohhed and ahhhhed thinking, "oh this one is best" and then the next one came along and I thought the same thing. You look great in each one, they all work so well, guess it just depends on the mood of Mary on the given day!
    So now that I'm working from home I'm in the same debacle. I don't need to dress up each day, I feel better when I do. So I'm still in the figuring-it-out-as-I-go stage. Let's support one another in this venture my friend!
    Oh, and have you seen TBB today? You and me my friend all the way!!!
    xo,
    Kellyann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The mood of Mary has been lifted on hearing all that oohing and ahhing, thanks sweetie. At the thought of you taking time over each pic, I turned to TP and said "I like that Mrs R is working from home now ..." But seriously, you will find new dressing challenges which you will rise to and together we can TRIUMPH. And talking of triumph, what a formidable team we make on The Blended Blog! I don't know what we did to get there but it's gotta be good!! Congrats, sista, x

      Delete
  5. All of these looks are great! I think you identified the varying degrees of dressiness perfectly, and the accessories make my happy accessory-loving heart sing. Beautiful!
    hugs,
    Janice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you are The Accessories Queen, darling Janice! So pleased my humble efforts brought a smile to your face and a flutter to your heart! Happy Wednesday, hugs x.

      Delete
  6. I'm glad you chose the top one. I5s my favourite for pub wear out of the collection. Great to see a work skirt being repurposed. Hugs twin

    http://www.muttonstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hej, twin, glad we chose the same, shame you didn't join me in the pub :-(. But on the bright side, I break up the worksuits and it's surprising how the pieces fit into a retirement wardrobe. So the fun will continue when you get there, but you ARE my much younger twin so let's not push you into retirement yet eh?! Hugs, x.

      Delete
  7. This post is pretty much the post I ought to have done - I talked about a couple of variations that may have worked, but failed to show them as you did. Time was seriously lacking and weather conspiring against any outdoor photography. though.
    Anyhoo, back to you my dearest. And yes, the boots are thoroughly awesome and every offering is lovely and perfectly acceptable for a lunchtime outing. My personal favourite was the final shot with the polo neck, a simple yet sexy look I think.

    Anna x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I dream of outdoor photography. If only I could harness the wind and photographer! I keep getting awestruck by the quality of these boots, m&s pulled out all the stops on these. My offerings are humble and no surprise, Anna, the simple polo outfit was our (yes "our"!) close second, as I let TP have some input!
      Now I'm off to see what amazing offerings you've put together on your post! Happy Thursday, hugs x.

      Delete
  8. Oh poor TP. I think all your new super, stylish outfits and accessories (especially the cutting edge ones featuring coated jeans/jaw dropping boots/biker jackets that elicit lots of attention from neighbours!!) have got to TP. That is so achingly sweet. However we have to wear old leggings and ripped jeans (so cutting edge now of course but I might find them a rip too far to go out in) when we are doing messy household chores, however I think your point of dressing up for any occasion is such a great one and it does make us feel so much better in every way so that is one I am taking on board for this new year, when it is dreary and cold, and we are just going for a stroll or a cup of coffee along the sea front, I am going to try my best and look the absolute best I can. Well done TP for highlighting this and you for sharing this with us your loyal followers. Now the outfits - all absolutely fab. Berry is so "now" and every combo looks great. I particularly loved the first choice but the all grey column with just a hint of berry in your fine necklace looked absolutely fabulous as well. How many wonderful outfit combos have those drop dead boots unleashed? I love them all and I trust you had a wonderful lunch. By the way we went over to my nieces yesterday and had lunch out with her, my sis-in-law and great niece and I really made an effort finishing off the whole ensemble with a berry scarf, so many people said how great the outfit looked, starting with my husband as I walked past him as I arranged the scarf first thing. I truly think berry colours are a joy in a winter landscape and the colours suit everybody. Sorry to have wittered on and I read this post only this morning so late to comment, dear Pout you have done it again. Regards Sue H xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are just too nice, Sue, and TP likes that you get him! Like your "rip too far" and I'm with you on that one. So pleased you're signed for the "dressing up whatever" idea, we'll stand out from the crowd at That's Amore. The boots continue stirring my creative juices! I'm thrilled to hear that your scarf was a rip snorter of a hit, I'm guessing you looked gorgeous ... And felt gorgeous too! I LOVE reading your comments, Sue, and wittering on is so me, as shown in my posts! Thanks so much for your lovely comments and kindness, hugs x.

      Delete
  9. I love the mix of the grey tones with the deep burgundy. I do the same with things i buy, how can I wear this/ Those boots are fabulous! I am a big fan of berry tones too.
    thanks for linking!
    jess xx
    www.elegantlydressedandstylish.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Jess, it's fun to get the old brain cells working on how to put something new to good us. Thanks for hosting. Hugs x.

      Delete
  10. It's surprising how one item can switch up so many outfits. I'm a huge fan of the Berry shade Mary and all the outfits look great xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, lovely Laurie, you notice all my shots are indoors right now! Hugs, x.

      Delete
  11. Such chic looks! I especially love the first one!

    ReplyDelete