Remember ...

If not now, when?

Saturday 26 August 2017

Testing The Fluted Top





My dear reader, I think I'm looking like A Real Blogger today.


So many bloggers have been wearing this fluted sleeve type top.


I managed to scoop myself one in the Peacocks sale.


And at £8 I don't mind testing the water with this fashion item.
It has a raglan sleeve and the fabric has just a little stretch in it, making it a comfy piece to wear.



  But of course this top is all about the sleeves.  The fluting is crowned with little bows. 
And the great thing about this top is that the sleeves finish just below the elbow, so that the sleeves don't become a nuisance when you try to live your everyday life in them.



Although I plan to wear the top with white, black and grey jeans and skirts, I thought I might be able to pick out the coral in the M&S floral skirt through this top.


Do you have a view on it? 
Imagine it with proper shoes, like some coral wedged espadrilles (which I don't have!)


My view is that there is too much going on in both halves, both in the top and the skirt. 
The look is just too fussy.


The colour did seem to match some of the flowers in the skirt's pattern though, so I wasn't too far off-message.


The thing is, does a fussy top like this need accessories?  Or does it speak for itself?
Would you wear any jewellery with the top?  And if so, what would you suggest?

(I have to apologise for my hair, BTW.  Maybe Surfer Granny isn't such a great look after all!).




Anyway, as evidence that those sleeves are built for a lady who lives a normal life, I made this for lunch wearing the top, Kartoffelmad , made with my homegrown beefsteak (heirloom) tomato and chives, radish and beetroot.


The sleeves didn't dangle in the mayo, didn't get caught in the chives that I chopped off , didn't soak up the beetroot juice. 
I'd say that is a pretty thorough road-test of my fluted sleeved top in real life conditions!


So, what do you think, ladies?  Does the top need jazzing up?  Does it go with the skirt? 
And am I looking like A Real Blogger? 
Do I cut the mustard as a proper grown up fashionista with my fluted top?!!
And , so topical right now as my cruise packing pressure increases, is this resort clobber?  What IS resort clothing?!




 A la perchoine.

25 comments:

  1. I do love your skirt and I think the top does look nice with it. I seem to have such a lot of flowery summer skirts which I am trying to sort out as that is what I seem to buy every summer and just wear with various t shirts, I think I would like to get some plain straight skirts for next summer ( you have shown some from Next I think ) prob. won't be in fashion then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Polly, thanks, great to hear you think it looks ok as I was a bit unsure.
      Now I am not fashionista so don't take my word here, but my feel us that skirts don't date like dresses often do. I bring my summer skirts out year after year especially white, beige and black. So please do try Next, they do great A-line linen skirts.
      How are your colours and shapes going, btw?
      Hugs, x.

      Delete
    2. Yes that's just what I would like A line linen. Not doing that well with shapes of things yet,I'm ok with colours as I know my colour palette.We have just had a large shopping centre built near us which includes Next so will look.x

      Delete
  2. Hello PP-Gorgeous ruffled top and a perfect color for you! Did you take photo in your own yard? That looks gorgeous too :) I struggle with some of my own wardrobe combinations so I understand your thinking. I get the feeling that your combination (while made up of perfectly lovely parts) may be too "busy" if you know what I mean? That's my opinion only and you must always go by how you feel of course! BTW, on my cruise in 2001 I took only one dressed up outfit and it sufficed but it was only 2 nights and 3 days-maybe yours is longer. Also, as in most situations these days, one sees ALL KINDS of wardrobe "options" whether one should or not!!! Kartoffelmad looks yum and I love the potato in all forms. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tak, Jules, my thinking too is that two busy pieces struggle.
      My cruise is short too, 'tis but a taster!
      I'm really trying to encourage your Danish eating style. Men vi elsker kartoffelmad so it's no hardship 😊
      Kram, x.

      Delete
    2. P.s. Yes, it's my garden. It's a bit end-of-summer now. I spent the day cutting back and tidying up today. Tired now, traet nu 😴.

      Delete
  3. You're so funny...you always look like a real blogger! That top is gorgeous. I like that the fluted part is above the elbow so they are not a nuisance. I was shopping last week and I couldn't believe how many dresses had unique sleeves! I bought one myself! As for jewelry, yes, I would wear a simple pendant necklace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK, that's good to hear as I don't want to get fussy but the front looked a bit bare. Yep, sleeves seem to be the thing on just about everything! Looking forward to seeing your dress soon,x.
      Thanks for popping in, Amy, x

      Delete
  4. The top is beautiful and it looks beautiful on you! This is a great color for you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I luuuuuv the top and prefer it with the trousers. Combined with the skirt it looks too fussy for me. If the skirt was a pencil type then it would be OK but that is only my opinion, of course. A fun top for the cruise, I think!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Duchesse, dank u vel, your views are helpful. Know what you mean about the fussy bit. Glad you think it's a cruise top, I know you've done a few so your input helps.
      Great to hear from you, hugs, x

      Delete
  6. Those are some great photos of you and what a wonderful top. Don't you love all this sleeve trend stuff that is going on? That color and your hair were made for each other. You are 150% style blogging it today!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, such sweet words, Terri , thanks. Loving all these frilly sleeves but this is my first try and they seem practical too at elbow length.
      I will remember to look out for coral, MY colour, thanks!
      Hugs, x.

      Delete
  7. Lovely top. Looks a bit fussy with the skirt though. Love your posts, you are a real blogger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cheryle, welcomed to my blog. Thanks for your view and your lovely words, I'm so glad you're enjoying my posts and I'm flattered that you consider me to be a real blogger, I certainly felt the part wearing my fluted top!
      Please pop by again soon, hugs, x.

      Delete
  8. Mary this top is fabulous on you!!! The color and the cut are super flattering and I adore the sleeves. I love it with the skirt! Hope you're taking this beauty on the cruise!
    xo,
    Kellyann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Mrs R, I love your kind words. There seems to be a 50/50 split on the top with the skirt. No, I don't plan on taking it, I'm planning on a lean mean cruising machine! Hugs, x.

      Delete
  9. You've found a great top there Mary - lovely colour and the sleeves are on-trend without being too dangly. I think it looks OK with your skirt. Maybe brave a belt? You'll be pleasantly surprised at how it looks (I tried a similar look). I'd be tempted to wear a necklace that finishes just above the neckline. But it also looks fine without because the sleeves make a great statement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gail and thank you. Yes, big on dangle would not be something I'd buy, I used to get really annoyed with that trend a couple of years ago for sleeves that went passed the finger tips - I roll everything up to the elbow! Now, the belt sounds a good idea, IF I could brave bringing attention to where a waist SHOULD be!!! Will experiment with some necklaces. Thanks for your ideas, most welcome. Hugs, x.

      Delete
  10. Mary! Of course your a fashion blogger! Fashion, friend, comedienne and shower of fine food and places. The outfit looks fabulous xx
    www.vanityandmestyle.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Laurie, so sweet! And oh, I've just read the full comment, so so so sweet! Thank you for your most flattering words, I am not worthy! Hugs, x.

      Delete
  11. Lovely top and you are definitely a fashion blogger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christy, thanks for your nice words. I have to admit that I wasn't fishing for or expecting such nice comments from everyone. My "feeling like a real blogger" was a sort of throw-away comment because I was actually wearing something I saw all the "real bloggers" wear and that is how I felt wearing it! All these lovely compliments have taken me by surprise and I'm loving it!!!! So, thanks so much Christy, Hugs, x.

      Delete
  12. Amazing blog! Do you have any recommendations for aspiring writers? I'm planning to start my own website soon but I'm a little lost on everything. Would you suggest starting with a free platform like Wordpress or go for a paid option? high tide swimsuit

    ReplyDelete